9.2.11

Is there a greater beauty?

Another day expressing the beauty of humanity in the center of Cairo, the center of Egypt, the center of the world. I was in Tahrir square for only a moment today, between meetings with colleagues to organize moving forward with our work with refugees, but it was enough to repair the doubts I never had about the soundness and sincerity of this revolution. Walking to the office this morning, the peace, joy and pride was thick in the air and spread across the faces of the people in the street. There was a line to enter Tahrir square in the early afternoon, Egyptians were queuing patiently on the sidewalk for over a block... Egyptians don't wait in line. While entrepreneurial youth have set up shop inside the mini-city that Tahrir has become, there is still the generous spirit present that have pervaded these demonstrations from the beginning. There is no struggle for resources here. I am struck again with how lucky I am. To have ever come to Egypt in the first place, purely by chance while I was wandering during my first sojourn abroad post-University, to have fallen in love with the country and its people, to have maintained friendships here that kept my relationship with Egypt alive, and to have decided only three months ago to come here, now. I would not want to be anywhere else on our planet during these times. Long live Egypt!